Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?
We are located in the basement of the Piper Tech Center, 555 Ramirez St. Los Angeles, CA 90012.

Map location of Salvage Services (at Piper Tech)

How can I buy a used City vehicle or equipment?
All City vehicles and surplus equipment are sold at public auction. We currently hold auctions with Ken Porter Auctions in Riverside. The only way to obtain an item is to be the high bidder at the public auction. For further details on the procedure, please contact Ken Porter Auctions at (310) 353-7140, 

What types of items does the City sell at auction?
Various cars, trucks and equipment from all Departments are sold, as well as pallets of miscellaneous material.

Where and when do the auctions take place?
At Ken Porter Auctions, the third Saturday of each month. 4510 Muth Way , Riverside  CA 92509.

What can I send to Salvage?
ALMOST anything, but primarily:

  • Desks

  • Chairs

  • File cabinets

  • Book shelves

  • Lockers

  • PCs, monitors, printers, telephones, other misc. electronics.*

*These items ARE NOT available to re-issue and must meet E-Waste criteria.
Please call us first, before transporting, to confirm that we handle the material you’re interested in discarding and to schedule an appropriate date and time.
Also, check CitiMAX for a list of reusable furniture, supplies, materials and equipment among City departments.

How do I send something to Salvage?
See our Procedures page for detailed instructions.

Do you pick-up?
No. If you can’t transport, contact City movers Noel Cabrera at (213) 978-7694 or email

Can I come by and pick up some used office furniture?
Generally, yes, but please call first, so that your visit doesn’t conflict with a large delivery or pick-up. Also, don’t forget to check-in with staff upon arrival. Also, check CitiMAX for a list of reusable furniture, supplies, materials and equipment among City Departments.

What do you have available right now?
Because of constantly changing inventory, we are unable to provide a current list of material available. You can also check out CitiMAX for a list of items available from all City Departments.

What is CitiMAX?
CitiMax is a free service designed to help City employees either find or list reusable furniture, supplies, materials and equipment.  Its goal is to increase reuse among City departments by facilitating information on Available and Wanted materials.

Can I put a hold on something to pick-up at a later date?
Yes. A hold tag is good for up to 10 days. The tag will be removed if not picked up within 10 days and once again become available to other City users.

Can I pick-up a used computer (or printer, or monitor or telephone) for my office?
No. Because of security concerns and special funding, those items are only available through your IT (Information Technology) group.

Do you have a Salvage form?
Yes. See our Forms page for the RFS form.

** RFS Forms and E-Waste Forms MUST be reviewed and approved by Salvage Personnel before delivery.**

What items are placed on Public Surplus to bid on?
Items that are open to bid by lot are used tires, police vehicle seats and sometimes
misc. items.

Can the City donate some equipment to my charity?
The only way that you can obtain a donated item (furniture, vehicles, computers, printers, cell phones, etc.) is through a Council Motion. Contact your local Council person for more information. Regarding computer parts: once an E-waste item reaches Salvage Services, it is considered a Universal Waste and it cannot be donated per City Ordinance. 

I need new license plates &/or the registration for a vehicle, can you help me with that?
Yes. Simply fill out the Request for Replacement Plates form and submit it to us. If DMV charges any fees, you will be contacted for reimbursement.  For further details, see our Forms page.

Do you pick-up &/or deliver?
No. If you cannot transport within your department, contact GSD Moving Services ( or (213) 978-7694).